ESL Community Program
Do you want to communicate better in English? Designed to help non-native speakers of English improve their English skills, AUM’s ESL Community Programs are held throughout the year in six to eight week terms. Every new student takes a placement test, which is specifically designed for this course. You will be placed in a class level based on your placement test scores attained upon enrollment. You can take ESL courses throughout the day, evening, and weekend.
ESL Community Program Schedule
| Level 1 || Beginning |
| Level 2 || Low Intermediate |
| Level 3 || Intermediate |
| Level 4 || High Intermediate |
| Level 5 || Advanced |
Term Dates Placement Test Dates
|Fall 1, 2014 || || ||August 18 - October 9 |
|Aug. 12 |
|Fall 2, 2014 || || ||October 20 - December 16 |
|Oct. 14 |
|Spring 1, 2015 || || ||January 15 - March 12 |
|Jan. 9 |
|Spring 2, 2015 |
| || ||March 30 - May 21 |
|Mar. 24 |
|Summer 2015 |
| || ||June 1 - July 23 |
|May 26 |
|Fall 1, 2015 |
| || ||August 17 - October 8 |
|Aug. 11 |
|Fall 2, 2015 |
| || ||October 19 - December 15 |
|Oct. 13 |
- Speak confidently and effectively in a variety of everyday survival situations.
- Understand expected behavior in these everyday survival situations.
- Improve clarity and accuracy of pronunciation.
- Learn the sounds, rhythms and intonation of standard American English.
- Develop speaking confidence through discussions through a variety of topics.
- A multi-skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing) syllabus.
- A focus on accuracy and fluency.
- Speaking on contemporary, real-world topics.
- Natural, conversational language.
- Grammar in communicative contexts.
- Task-based listening activities.
- Fun, personalized speaking activities.
- Emphasis on pronunciation
The AUM Division of Continuing Education reserves the right to modify or change the course schedule and course content at any time, without prior approval and for any reason, but primarily based upon student enrollment and faculty availability.
If you are unable to attend the course for which you have registered, we ask that you notify the ESL Office (by phone, fax or in writing) no later than six days prior to the beginning of the course. A full refund is given when cancellation is made six days prior to the first scheduled session. Failure to attend does not constitute a cancellation.
ESL Credit Policy
If you cancel registration, you have the option to receive 80 percent credit to be used within the next six months towards ESL courses offered at AUM.
To register or for more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call 334-244-3131 or visit the
ESL Office on the 7th Floor of the Library Tower.